Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

South India

A sense of disbelieve occurred while I was boarding the flight to South India.You see, after years and years of postponement to this incredible land, we finally made it. Not I ever hadn’t the opportunity but all the tittle-tattle around on extreme poverty, beggars, filthiness, pollutions and stomach upsets, .... these are some cautionary that came together whenever considering India as my  holiday destination.  But an article from a Hindu magazine about the holy city of South India, Rameshwaram (will write another post on this) ended my lengthy withdrawal.  A year of planning, we set off finally last February.
Believe me, whatever we anticipated was flattened. Yes, we witness poverties equally wealth.  Beggars?  nope did not bump into any who approached us,  of course we came across few slum areas which made me wonder about how lucky we are and not forgetting we galloped tones of scrumptious foods wherever we went happily ignoring my daily mantra… “Watch your weight”..”Watch your waistline”. Gosh....daily feast of Chettinad cuisine which is famous in South India so called Tamil Nadu. It was meal time all time. Word of precaution..avoid street vendor foods and always carry around bottled water and ask for one even at restaurants.
And mind you, be prepared!  Wherever you go you get an intent look from locals successfully creating an awkward feeling within us. I got my first share of stare at the airport itself. Felt like a celebrity minus the red carpet.. whoahhh..exactly.. that’s the feeling, at least for me.  Put aside the entire gaze, they are likewise friendly and courteous.  For now, here are some random shots…


















No comments:

Post a Comment